Saturday, February 5, 2011

Kyoto Bound (and Tokyo, too)

Golden Pavilion in Kyoto (Kinkakuji)
It promises to be the trip of a lifetime! Kathy, Glenna, and I are traveling with Nancy of Kyoto Kimono and a small group of intrepid and enthusiastic women to Japan in October, 2011.  I've kept in touch with Nancy for a few years now and have longed to go back to Japan on her annual tour and buying trip to Kyoto.

Click on this link to get the scoop on our trip.

In the late 1980's, my husband, baby girl, and I moved to Yokohama for four years. Needless to say, after so much time passing, I don't remember much of the "survival" Japanese that I learned to speak while we lived there. I do recall some of the most important expressions like where's the bathroom, where's the train station, and I'm so sorry. Most often the replies to my broken Japanese queries came in lovely, well-spoken English.  I also remember how to hail a cab and show the driver a piece of paper with my destination written out. Works wonders for a lost traveler to make her way back home to the hotel.

Glenna and I will begin our trip by traveling to Seattle. We'll meet up with Kathy who lives nearby and all fly to Kyoto together. After 10 days in Kyoto, we'll take the bullet train to Tokyo where we will stay for a couple of days before flying back to Seattle together.

Plans for our day-to-day activities are coming together nicely. I'll post those another time. Now, I've got to hurry to yoga class so I can be flexible enough to sit on the floor!

TTFN!

Barb