Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Catching up with TAST


Remember Take A Stitch Tuesday? Every week Sharon B. challenges her readers to try a new embroidery stitch or, if you already know the stitch, to go above and beyond with new experiments in stitching. The embroidery that people are sharing is so impressive and inspiring. I've been trying out embroidery on a large, sampler temari and using Caron Watercolors - really nice cotton that comes in variegated colors.





 
Week 14 - satin stitch  I was inspired by Mary Corbet's tutorial on stitching dots - they are just too cute! I'd never done satin stitch on temari and, yes, found it a real challenge without access to the wrong side. You have to work everything as a sewing stitch (not stabbed) with temari. This method makes for a wonderful raised dot - so puffy.


 Week 13 - time to take a break and have a week off -
Oh, yes! Thanks. I took the week to catch up.

 
Week 12 - barred and alternating chain stitch
Never done this, never even seen it. This spiky looking version of the adorable chain stitch is not all that hard using Sharon's good photos. I really had to keep my mind on the stitching to get it to turn out right. The inner ring here is barred, with all the long stitches out to one side. The line stitched around the triangle is alternating barred chain stitch. I had seen some of other people's samples and really like the look of stitching barred after barred, in a line, without the regular chain stitch in between.




Week 11 - whipped wheel
Sharon mentions that another name for this stitch is spiderweb backstitch. That's what I've known it as and have done lots of these. Another "TASTer" has a tutorial posted where she combined weaving with whipped version, so I had a go at that. Mine is much messier - I'd blame it on stitching on a ball but that's probably not true!






Week 10 - running stitch
After practicing the running stitch in a small triangle on the ball, I tried it here making circles around the whipped and woven wheel. Not my favorite. But this is all about experimenting, right?